Wish we could post without having to rate, since, as in this case, sometimes people would like to respond to an earlier post but have not tried the recipe. Anyhoo, the note about the almonds is in the copy at the top of the recipe, explaining how to grind them. Not so terribly hard to find!
Dutch Spice Cookies
These simple almond and spiced cookies can be made in less than an hour. Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes for a party or cookie swap.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 40
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 2.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 5g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 28mg
- Cholesterol: 5.1mg
- 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground almonds (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in milk. In another bowl, mix flour, almonds, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and baking powder; stir or beat into butter mixture until well blended (if mixture is crumbly, squeeze into a smooth, compact ball).
- 2. Divide dough in half. Flatten each portion into a 1-inch-thick disk. On a lightly floured board, with a floured rolling pin, roll dough, a portion at a time, to 1/8 inch thick. With a floured 2- to 3-inch cutter, cut dough into rounds (if dough becomes too soft to handle, freeze briefly until firm).
- 3. With a wide spatula or your fingers, transfer cookies to buttered or cooking parchment-lined 12- by 15-inch baking sheets, spacing them about 1 inch apart. Gather scraps, pat into a ball, and repeat rolling and cutting.
- 4. Bake cookies in a 300° oven until slightly darker brown, about 15 minutes; if baking more than one pan at a time, switch pan positions halfway through baking.
- 5. With a wide spatula, transfer cookies to racks to cool. If hot cookies start to break, slide a thin spatula under them to release, let stand on sheets to firm up, about 5 minutes, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
To grind the almonds for these spice cookies, whirl in a blender or food processor. You can store the cookies airtight for up to 1 week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note