- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- About 1/3 cup sliced pickled ginger
- 1 red bell pepper (8 oz.), rinsed, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 or 3 ruby grapefruit (2 to 3 lb. total) or 4 to 6 blood oranges (1 1/2 to 2 1/4 lb. total)
- 1 pound shelled cooked Dungeness crab (about 2 1/4 cups)
- Sesame Cream Dressing
- About 8 ounces daikon sprouts, root ends trimmed, rinsed and drained
- calories 415
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- protein 23 g
- fat 14 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- carbohydrate 50 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- sodium 1058 mg
- cholesterol 76 mg
How to Make It
In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan, combine rice and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to very low, cover pan, and cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is just tender to bite, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a wide bowl, mix rice vinegar with sugar. When rice is cooked, spoon it at once into bowl; mix with a fork. Let stand until lukewarm or cooler, about 30 minutes. Sliver 1/3 cup pickled ginger and add, along with bell pepper, to rice mixture. Stir with a fork to loosen rice grains and mix.
As rice mixture cools, with a sharp knife, cut peel and outer membrane from grapefruit, then cut between segments and inner membranes to release fruit; drop into a bowl. Discard peel and membranes. Sort through crab and remove and discard any bits of shell.
Mound rice mixture equally on dinner plates; top with crab and grapefruit segments. Spoon juice from grapefruit segments and the Sesame Cream Dressing evenly over salads; garnish with daikon sprouts and pickled ginger slices.