Dungeness Crab Pie with Braised Apples and Meyer Lemon Crème Fraîche
Photo: Ray Kachatorian; Styling: Jennifer Flanagan
Prep: 1 hour, 30 minutes; Cook: 1 hour, 18 minutes; Stand: 10 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2/3 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh Dungeness or Blue Crab meat, picked
- Braised Apples
- Meyer Lemon Crème Fraîche
- 1. Combine flour and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor; pulse to combine. Pulse in butter. Slowly drizzle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until a smooth ball of dough forms. Refrigerate dough 30 minutes. Roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Place in a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate; crimp edges of dough. Chill crust 30 minutes.
- 2. Line crust with parchment, and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights, and bake 10 minutes or until crust is lightly browned. Let cool.
- 3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until softened. Add wine, and cook 3 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates.
- 4. Transfer leek mixture to a large bowl. Add cream, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; whisk until smooth. Stir in crabmeat. Transfer mixture to crust, and bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is browned and center is almost set. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with Braised Apples and Meyer Lemon Crème Fraîche.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This