- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 pound fresh Dungeness crabmeat
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped pickled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)*
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Orange Butter Sauce
- Garnishes: shredded fresh spinach, julienned sweet red pepper, grated orange zest
How to Make It
Pour milk over bread in a small bowl.
Stir together crabmeat and next 7 ingredients in a medium bowl. Squeeze milk from bread, discarding excess milk. Add bread to crabmeat mixture, and toss gently.
Shape mixture into 8 patties; dredge in panko. Press additional panko onto each cake. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot; add 4 patties, and fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and patties. Place crab cakes on a large baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 5 minutes.
Spoon Orange Butter Sauce evenly onto serving plates. Place crab cakes over sauce. Garnish, if desired.
* Panko (coarse breadcrumbs) can be found in Asian Markets. Fresh lump crabmeat may be substituted for Dugeness crabmeat.