These are a special request every Cinco de Mayo.
Dulce de Leche Bars
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- For shortbread crust:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For chocolate dulce de leche:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 can dulce de leche (13 oz)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped (preferably in a food processor)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make shortbread crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter a shallow 9- to 9 1/2-inch square baking pan (1 to 1 1/2 inches deep). Line bottom and 2 sides with parchment paper, leaving an overhang. Butter parchment.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, and salt in a food processor and process until blended. Add butter and blend until it is incorporated. Add vanilla and up to 1 tablespoon ice water and process until a soft dough forms.
- Spread dough evenly in baking pan using an offset spatula or back of a spoon, then prick all over with fork.
- Bake until golden, about 20 minutes, then cool completely in pan on a rack, about 30 minutes.
- Make chocolate dulce de leche:
- Bring cream and dulce de leche to a simmer in a small heavy saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon until dulce de leche has dissolved.
- Whisk together yolks in a bowl, then slowly whisk in hot cream mixture. Return to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until pan is visible in tracks of spoon and mixture registers 170°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from heat and whisk in salt and chocolate until melted.
- Make bars:
- Pour chocolate mixture over cooled shortbread and chill, uncovered, until cold and set, at least 2 hours.
- Run a small knife around edges to loosen, then transfer to a cutting board using parchment. Cut with a hot clean knife (dip in hot water and wipe clean between cuts) into 64 bars. Chill until ready to serve.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Margareta and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note