- 2 (5-pound) dressed ducks
- 3 celery ribs, quartered
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered
- 2 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 2 quarts water
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Place ducks on a rack in a large roasting pan. Bake at 350° until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest portion registers 180° (about 2 hours and 15 minutes). Cool completely. Remove meat from ducks, reserving bones. Chop meat, and set aside for gumbo.
- Combine duck bones and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Skim fat and foam off top of stock after first 10 minutes of simmering. Pour stock through a wire-mesh strainer into a large bowl, discarding solids.
- Note: Store stock in a tightly covered container in refrigerator up to 3 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This