Duck and Oyster Gumbo
To save time on gumbo day, roast the ducks and make the stock the day before.
Yield: 16 cups
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups Duck Stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 to 6 cups chopped duck meat
- 1 (12-ounce) container oysters, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- Hot cooked rice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Cook oil and flour in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until roux is chocolate colored (about 35 to 40 minutes).
- Stir in celery, onion, and bell pepper; cook 7 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Gradually stir in Duck Stock and next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add duck meat; simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in oysters and fresh basil. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve over hot rice. Sprinkle with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers