- 3 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) dressed ducklings, skinned and cut up
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 3 quarts water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen okra, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle ducklings with 1 teaspoon salt; brown in 1/8 cup hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat, turning to brown evenly. Drain well, and set aside.
- Combine remaining oil and flour in a large stock pot; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 45 minutes or until roux is the color of a copper penny. Add onion, and continue cooking until tender.
- Gradually add water, stirring until well blended. Add duckling, okra, hot sauce, remaining salt, and red pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 2 1/2 hours or until meat begins to fall off bones. Remove from heat; cool. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Skim off and discard fat from surface. Remove duckling; remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Coarsely chop meat; return to gumbo.
- Add parsley, garlic, and sausage. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle gumbo over rice in individual serving bowls; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This