- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) ducklings, dressed, cut up, and skinned
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 gallon water
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle: 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper over ducklings; set aside.
- Combine melted butter and flour in a large stockpot; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 45 minutes or until roux is color of a copper penny. Add onion, green pepper, and minced garlic; continue cooking 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Gradually add water, stirring until well blended. Add reserved duckling, sausage, and red pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until meat begins to fall off bones. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Lift off and discard solidified fat from surface. Remove duckling; remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Chop meat into bite-size pieces; return to gumbo.
- Add remaining salt, onion, and parsley. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Ladle over hot cooked rice in individual serving bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This