- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) ducklings, dressed, cut up, and skinned
- 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 gallon water
- 2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion tops
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
How to Make It
Sprinkle: 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper over ducklings; set aside.
Combine melted butter and flour in a large stockpot; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 45 minutes or until roux is color of a copper penny. Add onion, green pepper, and minced garlic; continue cooking 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Gradually add water, stirring until well blended. Add reserved duckling, sausage, and red pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 2 hours or until meat begins to fall off bones. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
Lift off and discard solidified fat from surface. Remove duckling; remove meat from bones, discarding bones. Chop meat into bite-size pieces; return to gumbo.
Add remaining salt, onion, and parsley. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated. Ladle over hot cooked rice in individual serving bowls.