Duck Breasts with Sour Cherries
- 2 cups red wine
- 3/4 cup dried sour cherries (4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 skinless Pekin duck breast halves (5 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, caps thinly sliced
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon honey mustard
- Saffron Rice Pilaf
- 1. Preheat the oven to 250°. In a small saucepan, combine the wine and dried cherries and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Set aside.
- 2. In each of 2 large skillets, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season the duck breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Add 6 duck breasts to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat until well browned and medium rare, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the duck breasts to a baking sheet, cover with foil and keep warm in the oven.
- 3. Add half the mushrooms and shallots to each skillet, cover and cook over low heat, stirring once, until they are browned, about 4 minutes. Uncover and add 1/2 cup of water to each skillet. Simmer over moderately high heat, scraping up any browned bits from the skillets, until the water has reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Add half of the cherry-and-wine mixture to each skillet and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 3 minutes. Scrape the contents of 1 skillet into the other. Stir in the honey mustard and season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Remove the duck breasts from the oven and pour any accumulated juices into the sauce. Cut the duck breasts crosswise into 1/4 -inch-thick slices and arrange them on a warmed platter. Pour any carving juices into the sauce. Reheat the sauce briefly and pour it over the duck. Serve at once with the Saffron Rice Pilaf.
- Wine Recommendation: Red wine, such as the 1991 Quinta do Carvalhinho Bairrada Reserva from Portugal or the 1989 Cune Imperial Gran Reserva Rioja from Spain.
- Notes: ONE SERVING: Calories 209 kcal, Total Fat 3 gm, Saturated Fat .3 gm
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This