Made per recipe. Easy and delicious. I think you could sub other dry mushrooms for the morels with just as good outcome.
Drunken Mushroom Gratins
Time: About 45 minutes. Mushrooms and Pinot make a fabulous Thanksgiving kickoff pair. Just choose a Pinot that's on the earthy side. Serve these vegetarian gratins with a few simply dressed mixed greens on the side and toasted baguette slices to scoop the warm mushrooms onto.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 280
- Calories from fat: 64%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 379mg
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- 1 cup Pinot Noir or other dry red wine
- 1/2 ounce dried morel mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cremini (brown) or common button mushrooms, rinsed, trimmed, and thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded fresh asiago or jack cheese (about 6 oz.)
- 1. In a small saucepan over high heat, bring wine to a boil. Remove from heat, add morel mushrooms, and let stand until soft, about 20 minutes. Lift morels from liquid, squeezing out any excess, and finely chop. Reserve morels and liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to high, add cremini mushrooms, and cook, stirring often, until almost all their liquid has evaporated and creminis are beginning to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Carefully pour wine into pan, leaving behind any sediment from morels, and boil until reduced by about half, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chopped morels, cream, and thyme, and boil, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Preheat broiler. Spoon mushroom mixture into 6 small ramekins. Sprinkle with cheese and set on a baking sheet.
- 5. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat just until cheese is melted and starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note