Dried Tomato Pesto-Filled Burgers
These inventive burgers have a layer of tangy dried-tomato pesto in the center. The jalapeño mayonnaise gives them extra zip.
Yield: Makes 6 burgers
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 601
- Calories from fat: 40%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 27g
- Saturated fat: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 1414mg
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons drained (reserve 2 tablespoons oil) coarsely chopped oil-packed dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef round or sirloin
- 1/3 cup beer
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- About 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hamburger buns (about 3 oz. each), split in half horizontally
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz.; optional)
- Jalapeño mayonnaise
- 1. In a blender or food processor, whirl parmesan cheese, pine nuts, dried tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, and 2 tablespoons reserved oil from dried tomatoes until mixture is a chunky paste, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix ground beef with beer, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper until well combined. Divide meat mixture into 12 equal portions and flatten each portion into a 4-inch round.
- 3. Top each of 6 of the rounds with about 1 tablespoon of the dried-tomato pesto. Top with remaining 6 rounds, pressing edges together to seal.
- 4. Lay burgers on a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook burgers, turning once to brown both sides, until meat around filling is no longer pink (cut to test; note that pesto is reddish brown), 6 to 8 minutes total. Also lay bun halves, cut side down, on grill and toast 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5. With a wide spatula, transfer burgers to bun bottoms. Add salt and pepper to taste. Top each burger with about 2 tablespoons feta cheese, if desired. Cover with bun tops. Serve with jalapeño mayonnaise to add to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes