Dried Fruit Condiment
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 147
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 8mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 2 oranges, preferably unwaxed
- 8 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 8 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 dried figs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 6 saffron threads
- 5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4 thin slices whole-wheat or multigrain baguette, toasted
- 1. Use a vegetable peeler to remove strips of zest from 1 orange. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the zest and boil for 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve, then immediately rinse under cold water until cool. Cut the zest lengthwise into fine slivers.
- 2. Squeeze the juice of the zested orange into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir in the apricots, dates, and figs. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 3. Squeeze the juice from the remaining orange. In a deep skillet, heat the honey over medium heat until pale caramel in color. Add the orange juice, stir well, and bring to a boil. Add the dried fruit mixture and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- 4. Add the cumin, saffron, vinegar, and orange zest. Mix well and transfer to a bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature with toasts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This