- 2 oranges, preferably unwaxed
- 8 dried apricots, finely chopped
- 8 dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 dried figs, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly crushed
- 6 saffron threads
- 5 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 4 thin slices whole-wheat or multigrain baguette, toasted
- calories 147
- fat 0.4 g
- satfat 0.0 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.1 g
- protein 2 g
- carbohydrate 36 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 8 mg
- calcium 39 mg
How to Make It
Use a vegetable peeler to remove strips of zest from 1 orange. Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil. Add the zest and boil for 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve, then immediately rinse under cold water until cool. Cut the zest lengthwise into fine slivers.
Squeeze the juice of the zested orange into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then stir in the apricots, dates, and figs. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Squeeze the juice from the remaining orange. In a deep skillet, heat the honey over medium heat until pale caramel in color. Add the orange juice, stir well, and bring to a boil. Add the dried fruit mixture and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
Add the cumin, saffron, vinegar, and orange zest. Mix well and transfer to a bowl. Serve warm or at room temperature with toasts.