Dried Apple Dice
Soak: 10 Minutes
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 cup(s) cold water
- 6 (500 mg) vitamin C tablets, crushed (or 1 teaspoon vitamin C powder)
- 2 pound(s) baking apples (about 6)
- 1. Heat oven to 170 degrees.
- 2. Pour the water in a large bowl. Add the vitamin C and stir to dissolve to create an anti-browning bath. Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/2-inch dice, adding them to the bath as you work. Soak the diced apples for 10 minutes.
- 3. Drain the fruit and pat it dry. Arrange the apples in a single layer on two 11-by-17-inch baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Set the baking sheets in the oven and prop open the oven door with a wooden spoon handle to allow moisture to escape. Dry the apples in the oven for 3 to 4 hours, until leathery. The pieces are fully dry when you can squeeze a handful and they don't stick together.
- 4. Cool the apple cubes and then condition them by transferring them to a covered container and let them sit for one day. This allows the dried fruit to redistribute any trapped moisture. If you notice moisture collecting on the sides of the container, repeat the drying process for one more hour or so. Fully dried apples will keep in an airtight container for up to one year.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note