So easy, yet it was so delicious! I didn't have Italian canned tomatoes so I used organic diced and added some Italian seasoning, a splash of balsamic vinegar, a splash of olive oil, pepper, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Let it cook slowly to blend all the flavors. If I hadn't told my friend it was "from a can" he never would have known.
Dressed-up Tomato Soup
Add a little zing to canned tomato soup by blending with canned Italian-style diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and fresh ground pepper. If desired, top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped fresh parsley before serving.
More From Southern Living
- 1 28-ounce can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1 26-ounce can tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 32-ounce container chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Optional toppings: sour cream; chopped fresh parsley, basil, chives, or rosemary; croutons; freshly grated Parmesan cheese; grated lemon rind
- Pulse 1 (28-oz.) can Italian-seasoned diced tomatoes in a food processor 3 to 4 times or until finely diced. Stir together tomatoes; 1 (26-oz.) can tomato soup, undiluted; 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth; and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper in a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- To serve, we topped the soup with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkled it with chopped fresh parsley. Other tasty additions include chopped fresh basil, chopped fresh chives, chopped fresh rosemary, croutons, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and grated lemon rind.
- For testing purposes only, we used Progresso Diced Tomatoes With Italian Herbs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note