- 1 1/4 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 2 (8-ounce) containers fresh Select oysters, drained
- Peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 (10-ounce) package shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 12 French bread rolls, split and toasted
- Garnish: lemon wedges
How to Make It
Combine cornmeal and 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning. Dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture.
Pour oil to a depth of 1 inch into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°.
Fry oysters, in 3 batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain oysters on paper towels.
Stir together 1/2 cup mayonnaise, vinegar, and mustard. Stir in cabbage; set slaw aside.
Stir together remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise, ketchup, and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl.
Spread cut sides of French bread rolls with ketchup mixture; place oysters and slaw evenly on bottom halves of each roll. Cover with tops. Serve po'boys immediately. Garnish, if desired.