Good, easy recipe, but not quite enough liquid for my taste. I think I will add a can of chicken broth to it next time along with a little extra cayenne pepper or Creole seasoning (I like it spicy!).
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups frozen okra
- 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups long-cooking rice, cooked
- Stir together flour and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Spoon mixture into a slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp and rice. Cover and cook on high setting for one hour; then 5 hours on low setting. Twenty minutes before serving, add shrimp to slow cooker; mix well. Cover and cook on low setting. Ladle gumbo over cooked rice in soup bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews