Good, easy recipe, but not quite enough liquid for my taste. I think I will add a can of chicken broth to it next time along with a little extra cayenne pepper or Creole seasoning (I like it spicy!).
You can’t help but smile with a bowl of gumbo in front of you!
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups frozen okra
- 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups long-cooking rice, cooked
- Stir together flour and oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, for about 10 minutes or until mixture turns reddish brown. Spoon mixture into a slow cooker; stir in remaining ingredients except shrimp and rice. Cover and cook on high setting for one hour; then 5 hours on low setting. Twenty minutes before serving, add shrimp to slow cooker; mix well. Cover and cook on low setting. Ladle gumbo over cooked rice in soup bowls.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note