Double Whammie Yeast Rolls
YOUR BEST RECIPE Finalist. PAM Brand Winner. The double whammy comes from using beer and potato buds in the recipe.
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
Rise: 2 Hours
Bake: 18 Minutes
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried instant potato buds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup beer at room temperature
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour, divided
- no-stick cooking spray
- Butter (optional)
- 1. Remove and reserve 1 tablespoon sugar. Cook remaining sugar, 1/3 cup butter, and next 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until butter melts. Cool to 110°.
- 2. Stir together yeast, beer, and reserved 1 tablespoon sugar in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- 3. Combine milk mixture and yeast mixture in a large bowl; stir in egg. Gradually stir in 4 cups flour to form a dough. (Dough will be very stiff.)
- 4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead, adding additional flour (up to 1/2 cup) as needed, until smooth and elastic (about 6 to 8 minutes). Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top of dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 5. Coat muffin pans with cooking spray. Punch dough down, and shape dough into 36 (1-inch) balls. Place 3 dough balls in each muffin cup. (Handle the dough as little as possible to prevent over-kneading.) Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden. Place a small pat of butter on top of each roll after baking 5 minutes, or brush with melted butter after baking, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note