Very starchy! Lots of rice, which dilutes the flavors of the other ingredients. I might try this again with 2 cups of rice, rather than three.
Double-Squash Basmati Gratin
Basmati rice and feta cheese distinguish this updated squash-rice casserole from its classic counterpart. Serve with roasted chicken or grilled chicken breasts.
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 251
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 34.1g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 656mg
- Calcium: 246mg
- 4 cups zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 cups yellow squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2/3 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbed feta cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- Cooking spray
- 25 onion or garlic melba snack crackers
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine zucchini, squash, leek, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and garlic in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-high heat 20 minutes or until squash is very tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover and remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, sour cream, milk, and egg whites in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add squash mixture, basmati rice, cheeses, parsley, and oregano; stir well to combine. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place crackers in a food processor; process until coarsely ground. Drizzle with butter; pulse 3 times or until moist. Sprinkle cracker crumb mixture evenly over rice mixture. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until browned on top and bubbly around edges. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables