Double Red Cornbread
Notes: For bread that is sweeter and more tender, use the largest measure of sugar.
Yield: Makes 9 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 203
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 5.2g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 29g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 453mg
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons or 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hot or sweet Hungarian paprika or regular paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped canned roasted red peppers
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and paprika. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir peppers into egg mixture mixture. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven).
- 4. Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note