- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons or 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon hot or sweet Hungarian paprika or regular paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped canned roasted red peppers
- calories 203
- caloriesfromfat 33 %
- protein 5.2 g
- fat 7.5 g
- satfat 4.1 g
- carbohydrate 29 g
- fiber 1.3 g
- sodium 453 mg
- cholesterol 64 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt, and paprika. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir peppers into egg mixture mixture. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth.
Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 30 minutes (25 minutes in a convection oven).
Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.