Easy, delicious, comforting. Will definitely make this again.
Double-Mushroom Bread Pudding
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Mary Catherine Muir
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 368
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 20.9g
- Carbohydrate: 42.8g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Cholesterol: 135mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 602mg
- Calcium: 394mg
- 3 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 8 cups (2-inch) cubed country or peasant bread (about 12 ounces)
- 2 (4-ounce) portobello mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- Combine 2 cups milk and bread. Cover and chill 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove brown gills from the undersides of portobellos using a spoon; discard gills and stems. Cut mushroom caps in half; cut halves crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add portobello and cremini mushrooms, and sauté 4 minutes. Stir in parsley, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Combine 1 cup milk, eggs, and egg white, and stir with a whisk. Spoon 2 cups bread mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Top with the mushroom mixture; sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Top with remaining bread mixture and 2/3 cup cheese. Pour egg mixture over top. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until set.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Double-Mushroom Bread Pudding Recipe at a Glance