Great idea. Pretty simple. I loved that the jalapeno wasn't hot! I agree, beans over powered the meat. It was fun though.
Double-Layer Beef Tacos
Inspired by the popular fast-food version, our taco is bigger and offers bright, fresh flavors but still puts up better numbers than the drive-through original.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 32 Minutes
- Calories: 327
- Fat: 13.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 18.7g
- Carbohydrate: 33.9g
- Fiber: 5.3g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 551mg
- Calcium: 233mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces 90% lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons unsalted tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
- 4 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 2 ounces preshredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese or cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 hard taco shells
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and next 6 ingredients (through black pepper); sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove beef mixture from pan using a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Return beef mixture to pan; stir in tomato sauce. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Spread 2 tablespoons beans evenly over 1 side of each flour tortilla; sprinkle each with about 2 tablespoons cheese. Place tortillas on a baking sheet; broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Carefully wrap 1 tortilla around 1 hard taco shell, pressing gently until cheese sticks to shell. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas and shells. Spoon about 1/4 cup beef mixture into each shell; top each with 2 tablespoons lettuce, 2 tablespoons tomato, and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note