The chicken is delicious. I love the amount of seasoning, and I wouldn't change anything about it. The only problem I had was with the potatoes. They seemed too crisp. Some of them even turned out crunchy, while others were perfect. Maybe I should have turned them at some point, and maybe I'm just that inexperienced. Either way, I thought the potatoes needed a lot more spice. Next time I'll add more salt, pepper, and oregano to them.
Double-Herb Roasted Chicken and Potatoes
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 249
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 19.4g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 155mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 (5 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried oregano, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Cooking spray
- 8 red potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine 2 tablespoons chopped oregano and garlic cloves. Rub seasoning mixture under loosened chicken skin and drumsticks. Carefully place basil leaves under loosened skin. Tie ends of legs with cord. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Pierce skin several times with a meat fork. Arrange potatoes on rack around chicken. Coat the chicken and potatoes with cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken and potatoes with 1 tablespoon oregano, salt, and pepper. Insert a meat thermometer into the meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° (do not remove chicken from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes or until thermometer registers 180°. Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin. Remove chicken from pan; place on a serving platter. Serve with roasted potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note