- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons cold vegetable shortening or lard
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1. In a food processor, combine the flour and salt and pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and shortening and process until the mixture is rough textured, with particles the size of peas.
- 2. Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing briefly after each addition. Add another tablespoon of the water and pulse just until the dough begins to hold together. Add 1 more tablespoon of water if necessary.
- 3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and gather it into a ball, handling it as little as possible. Divide the dough in half. Pat the 2 pieces into disks, wrap in wax paper and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or overnight before rolling out.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts