The kids all ate it but the general feeling was, "I don't care for it." Maybe if there was more crunch?
Double Corn Pancakes with Jalapeño and Chunky Tex-Mex Tomato Sauce
Serve these corn-studded pancakes with a black bean salad to round out the meal. They also make a great savory breakfast treat if you serve them with a little butter rather than the tomato sauce.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 458
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Protein: 12.4g
- Carbohydrate: 66.8g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 814mg
- Calcium: 273mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans no salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced seeded jalapeño pepper
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 large eggs
- To prepare sauce, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add chopped onion; cover and cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in chili powder and cumin; cook 20 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and cilantro.
- To prepare pancakes, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Fold in corn, green onions, and jalapeño.
- Combine milk, 1 tablespoon oil, and eggs in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until combined. Let batter stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon about 1/3 cup batter per pancake onto hot pan. Cook 4 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges looked cooked. Carefully turn pancakes; cook 2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Serve immediately with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This