These were really good. Instead of simply filling with marshmallow cream I made it into marshmallow frosting with the addition of butter, powdered sugar and a bit of milk. It was creamier and I liked that. I made them as printed with the butter and they were a bit dry for my liking. I made them again using oil and they turned out moist with a softer crumb, which my family really liked. I also experimented with a peanutbutter frosting filled one, which was equally as good. A bit time consuming to remove part of the cupcake and fill, but well worth the effort.
Double Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes
These double chocolate cupcakes have a wonderful secret: They're filled with marshmallow creme. The filling process takes a few minutes, so we've saved you time by using canned frosting: Triple Chocolate Fudge Chip frosting, to be exact.
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 5 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 6 (1-oz.) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (7-oz.) jar marshmallow crème
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can triple chocolate fudge chip frosting (we tested with Betty Crocker)
- Garnishes: assorted Christmas sprinkles and candies*
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add melted chocolate and vanilla, mixing well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add to batter alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix at low speed after each addition until blended.
- Spoon batter into paper-lined standard muffin pans, filling each cup full. Bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pans. Remove from pans, and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Take a plug out of center top of each cupcake, going pretty deep but not quite to the bottom of each cake. (Reserve these little cupcake pieces.)
- Spoon marshmallow crème into a zip-top freezer bag; seal bag, and cut a hole (about 1/2") in 1 corner. Squirt crème into hole of each cupcake. Replace just the top portion of each cupcake piece to regain a smooth top. Gently frost cupcakes; decorate as desired.
- *We tested with peppermint candies and a Winter Wonderland decorating kit from Williams-Sonoma.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note