I have made this recipe at least 50 times. It is my favorite brownie recipe! Almost everyone I have shared these brownies with comments "These are the best brownies I've ever eaten!" I often sprinkle the top of the brownie batter with white chocolate & milk chocolate chips in addition to the semi-sweet called for in the recipe.
Double Chocolate Brownies
More From Southern Living
Bake: 40 Minutes
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped, toasted pecans
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- Microwave chocolate squares in a small microwave-safe bowl at MEDIUM (50% power) for 30-second intervals until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes total time). Stir chocolate until smooth.
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add melted chocolate, beating just until blended.
- Add flour and salt, beating at low speed just until blended. Stir in vanilla, 1/2 cup pecans, and 1/2 cup chocolate morsels. Spread batter into a greased and floured 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans and 1/4 cup chocolate morsels.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until set. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Note: Freeze brownies in an airtight container up to 1 month.
- Double Chocolate Brownies With Caramel Frosting: Prepare Double Chocolate Brownies as directed. Melt 3/4 cup butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Stir in 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 12 large marshmallows, 1 tablespoon light corn syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat, and pour mixture immediately into a large mixing bowl. Beat mixture with an electric mixer at high speed 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to lose its gloss. Spread Caramel Frosting evenly over brownies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts