These had a very good cherry flavor, delicious. We like hearty portions of dessert so what the heck, I doubled their size and got 6 in the batch. Also used 2 tb of butter instead of 1. In the dough I used regular cream cheese instead of the low fat. Instead of white chocolate I made a Meyer Lemon glaze for them.
Howard L. Puckett
Dried fruit provides rich, concentrated cherry flavor, a contrast to the tart frozen cherries. The white, creamy chocolate topping drizzles the pies with sweetness.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 pie)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 244
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 7.4g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40.5g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 93mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 1 cup dried sweet cherries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen sour cherries, thawed and drained
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 Sweet Cream Cheese Dough circles
- 1/4 cup white chocolate baking chips
- Combine the first 5 ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat 7 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat. Add butter, stirring until butter melts. Stir in cornstarch and vanilla. Cool slightly.
- Working with 1 Sweet Cream Cheese Dough circle at a time, remove plastic wrap from dough. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Spoon about 2 tablespoons cherry mixture into center of circle. Fold dough over filling; press edges together with a fork or fingers to seal. Place pie on a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat procedure with remaining Sweet Cream Cheese Dough circles and remaining cherry mixture. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Remove pies from freezer. Pierce top of each pie once with a fork. Place baking sheet on bottom rack in oven. Bake at 425° for 19 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place chocolate chips in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until chips are soft. Knead bag until smooth. Snip a tiny hole in corner of bag; drizzle chocolate over cooled pies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Double-Cherry Pies Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts