I like the idea of the dish but it lacked flavor. I added a bunch of spices (allspice, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, cumin, curry, ginger, pepper and saffron) but it still was missing something. I think I would prefer if it had some type of sauce that was binding all the ingredients together.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 615
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 31g
- Saturated fat: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 63g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 279mg
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 onion (8 oz.), peeled and chopped
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup rinsed, chopped preserved grape leaves (reserve 2 tablespoons brine from jar)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1. Heat oil in a 4- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat. Add lamb and onion and stir frequently until lamb is crumbly and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 2. Add rice, grape leaves, parsley, dill, pine nuts, currants, reserved brine, and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until rice is tender to bite, 20 to 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note