Dolly Varden Cake
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided and softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 egg yolks (reserve whites for frosting)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups raisins, chopped
- Almond Frosting
- Grease and flour four 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat 4 egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into batter. Set aside.
- Cream remaining butter; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well. Add 7 egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine remaining flour and cardamom; add to creamed yolk mixture alternately with remaining milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Add raisins, and stir well.
- Pour egg white batter into 2 prepared cake pans. Pour yolk batter into remaining prepared cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread frosting between alternating yellow and white layers and on top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note