Dolly Varden Cake
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided and softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 egg yolks (reserve whites for frosting)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 cups raisins, chopped
- Almond Frosting
- Grease and flour four 8-inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat 4 egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into batter. Set aside.
- Cream remaining butter; gradually add remaining sugar, beating well. Add 7 egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine remaining flour and cardamom; add to creamed yolk mixture alternately with remaining milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Add raisins, and stir well.
- Pour egg white batter into 2 prepared cake pans. Pour yolk batter into remaining prepared cake pans. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and cool completely.
- Spread frosting between alternating yellow and white layers and on top and sides of cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Cakes/Frostings