Our Dogwood Blossom Cake is a melt-in-your mouth white cake with a smooth blackberry filling. From the fondant dogwood blossoms to the white satin frosting, this cake is clearly an elegant centerpiece for springtime receptions.
Southern Living JUNE 2008
1. Prepare and bake 1 Tiered Dogwood Blossom Cake recipe. Repeat procedure for second 14-inch layer. Prepare and bake remaining recipe using directions in the note for 10-inch and 6-inch cake layers.
2. Cut domed top off each layer using a serrated knife.
3. Prepare Blackberry Filling.
4. Prepare 1 White Satin Frosting recipe. Repeat procedure twice.
5. Cover 1 (14-inch), 1 (10-inch), and 1 (6-inch) sturdy cardboard cake circle with aluminum foil.
6. Spread a small amount of frosting on 1 side of 14-inch circle; top with 1 (14-inch) cake layer. Spread 3 cups Blackberry Filling over cake layer, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with remaining 14-inch cake layer.
7. Cut 4 wooden craft sticks to height of 14-inch tier; insert vertically into cake tier, evenly spaced and level with top of tier, about 3 inches from sides.
8. Spread top and sides of cake with frosting, smoothing with a wet metal spatula. Chill up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
9. Assemble and frost 2 (10-inch) layers on cardboard circle as directed above, using 2 1/2 cups Blackberry Filling. Assemble and frost 2 (6-inch) layers on cardboard circle as directed above, using remaining 1 1/2 cups Blackberry Filling and omitting craft sticks. Chill up to 2 days, or freeze up to 2 months.
10. Position 10-inch tier in center of 14-inch tier; position 6-inch tier in center of 10-inch tier. Place cake on stand.
11. Fit a large decorating bag with tip #32 (Wilton). Fill bag with frosting. Pipe a shell border on the top and the bottom edge of each tier.
12. Pipe a large amount of icing on top of cake to secure Fondant Dogwood Blossoms. Attach remaining blossoms to cake with a small amount of frosting.
Purchase ready-to-use white rolled fondant for the dogwood blossoms and leaves. It's easy to work with and saves time on such a busy occasion.
Go to full version of