This is such a great recipe to keep in your fall-winter rotation. I change it up each time I make it depending on what veggies and meat I have. One of our favorite additions is red potatoes and mushrooms. Try adding grilled chicken for extra protein!
Doc's Corn-and-Potato Chowder
Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Rose Nguyen
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings (about 8 cups)
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 2 cups peeled, diced Yukon gold potatoes (about 2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated milk
- 1 (11-oz.) can yellow-and-white whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tsp. hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Bring potatoes and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook potatoes 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- 2. Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in frozen vegetables and chopped yellow onion; sauté onion mixture 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Add 2 cups milk, next 6 ingredients, and potatoes. Reduce heat to medium, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used McKenzie's Seasoning Blend for diced onion, red and green bell pepper, and celery and Campbell's Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup.
- Corn-and-Potato Seafood Chowder: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2. Omit 2 cups milk in Step 3, and add 1 lb. fresh crabmeat, drained, and 2 (6 1/2-oz.) cans minced clams, undrained, with evaporated milk, next 5 ingredients, and potatoes. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews