Photo: Tara Sgroi; Styling: Angie Mosier
- 8 ounces okra, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil, plus more if necessary
- 1 pound andouille, cut from casings and chopped
- 1 cup chicken livers, diced
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup crisp, dry white wine
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1. Combine okra and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- 2. Heat oil in a 6-quart ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, and cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer sausage into bowl with okra using a slotted spoon.
- 3. Add livers to pan, adding more oil if pan is dry, and cook 4 minutes or until firm and cooked through. Add livers to okra mixture, and set aside.
- 4. Add onion and garlic to pan, adding more oil if pan is dry, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until soft and golden brown.
- 5. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, rice, and next 4 ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until rice and garlic are fragrant. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and stir in reserved okra mixture.
- 6. Cover and bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note