Found this recipe extremely enjoyable and delicious. For the fat bigots they should consider the roots of this dish and shut their mouths
Yield: 8 main-dish servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 471
- Fat: 21.9g
- Cholesterol: 205mg
- Sodium: 659mg
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 quart water
- 5 chicken wings (about 3/4 pound)
- 5 chicken gizzards (about 1/4 pound)
- 5 chicken hearts (about 1 ounce)
- 5 chicken livers (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 pound ground hot pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine, or bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
- Combine water and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes; add chicken livers, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid. Remove meat from wings; coarsely chop wing meat, gizzards, hearts, and livers. Set meat aside.
- Brown sausage in Dutch oven, stirring until it crumbles; drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in Dutch oven; add onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add sausage, chopped meat, and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and parsley. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables