- 2 cups uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 quart water
- 5 chicken wings (about 3/4 pound)
- 5 chicken gizzards (about 1/4 pound)
- 5 chicken hearts (about 1 ounce)
- 5 chicken livers (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 pound ground hot pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine, or bacon drippings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- calories 471
- fat 21.9 g
- cholesterol 205 mg
- sodium 659 mg
How to Make It
Cook rice according to package directions; set aside.
Combine water and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes; add chicken livers, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup liquid. Remove meat from wings; coarsely chop wing meat, gizzards, hearts, and livers. Set meat aside.
Brown sausage in Dutch oven, stirring until it crumbles; drain and set aside.
Melt butter in Dutch oven; add onion, green pepper, and celery. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add sausage, chopped meat, and reserved liquid. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cooked rice and parsley. Serve warm.