- 2 pounds ground lean (7% fat) beef
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans (optional), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons ground dried New Mexico chilies or chili powder
- About 4 1/2 cups Fritos corn chips (15-oz. bag)
- 6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded longhorn cheddar cheese
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- calories 776
- caloriesfromfat 53 %
- protein 44 g
- fat 46 g
- satfat 14 g
- carbohydrate 45 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- sodium 1088 mg
- cholesterol 117 mg
How to Make It
In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir ground beef, garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon salt until beef is crumbly and well browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
With a large slotted spoon, push beef mixture to one side of pan and tilt pan so liquid runs to opposite side. Stir flour into liquid until well blended, then mix with beef mixture. Add 2 cups water, black beans if using, and dried chilies; stir until mixture boils and thickens, about 8 minutes.
Spread about 3/4 cup Fritos in each of six wide, shallow bowls and sprinkle chopped onion equally on top. Divide chili equally among bowls and top with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Add more salt to taste.