Dilled Green Beans
Green beans make for delicious pickles, especially when paired with red peppers and garlic. Grab a couple of pounds from your local farmers' market during peak season and you'll have homemade pickles to enjoy the rest of the year.
- 2 pounds green beans
- 7 hot red peppers*
- 7 garlic cloves, quartered
- 3 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 1/2 teaspoons dill seeds
- 5 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- Pack beans into hot jars, trimming to fit 1/2 inch from top. Add 1 pepper, 1 garlic clove (quartered), 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, and 1/2 teaspoon dill seeds to each jar.
- Bring vinegar, 5 cups water, and pickling salt to a boil; pour into each jar, filling to 1/2 inch from top. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids; screw on bands.
- Process in a boiling-water bath 10 minutes. 1 3/4 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper may be substituted for hot red peppers. Add 1/4 teaspoon per jar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note