Fabulous recipe if you leave out all that water! Can't imagine what the extra liquid--and especially tasteless water--would have done to that lovely, velvety stew. My only other changes were to add a handful of dried tomato slivers and a tsp. of herbes de provence to the broth. I also used Yukon Gold potatoes, which are so buttery. Served with cheese toasts. So delicious!
Dijon Chicken Stew with Potatoes and Kale
This hearty meal in a bowl features tender pieces of dark and white meat chicken simmered with potatoes, leek, and kale. The Dijon mustard adds just the right amount of tanginess to the robust stew.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 30.9g
- Carbohydrate: 33.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 659mg
- Calcium: 180mg
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups sliced leek
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled white potato (about 1 pound)
- 8 cups loosely packed torn kale (about 5 ounces)
- Crushed red pepper (optional)
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add leek; sauté 6 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Spoon leek mixture into a large bowl.
- Place 1/3 cup flour in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken mixture; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Add browned chicken to leek mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken mixture, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Combine 1 cup broth and 1 tablespoon flour, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add broth mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, water, and mustard to pan; bring to a boil. Stir in chicken mixture, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Stir in potato. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in kale; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Garnish with crushed red pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This