- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 cups fresh dewberries or blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring well; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add eggs and milk; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead 2 or 3 times. Roll one-fourth of pastry on a floured surface into a 10- x 6-inch rectangle, and cut into 10- x 1-inch strips. Place strips on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
- Divide remaining dough in half. Roll one half to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, and fit into a 10- x 6- x 2-inch baking dish. Set aside prepared dish and remaining portion of dough.
- Combine berries and sugar; toss lightly to coat well. Spoon half of berries evenly into prepared dish; carefully arrange baked pastry strips over top. Spoon remaining berries over strips; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to 1/4- inch thickness on a floured surface. Carefully place over berries. Trim edges; seal and flute. Cut slits in top crust. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, and top with ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note