- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 5 cups fresh dewberries or blackberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Vanilla ice cream
- Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring well; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add eggs and milk; stir with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn out onto a heavily floured surface, and knead 2 or 3 times. Roll one-fourth of pastry on a floured surface into a 10- x 6-inch rectangle, and cut into 10- x 1-inch strips. Place strips on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet.
- Divide remaining dough in half. Roll one half to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface, and fit into a 10- x 6- x 2-inch baking dish. Set aside prepared dish and remaining portion of dough.
- Combine berries and sugar; toss lightly to coat well. Spoon half of berries evenly into prepared dish; carefully arrange baked pastry strips over top. Spoon remaining berries over strips; dot with butter.
- Roll remaining dough to 1/4- inch thickness on a floured surface. Carefully place over berries. Trim edges; seal and flute. Cut slits in top crust. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 350°, and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, and top with ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts