- 1 pound veal sweetbreads
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 large bay leaf, broken
- 12 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons thick steak sauce
- Toast points
- Soak sweetbreads in ice water to cover for 30 minutes. Drain well, and set aside.
- Combine celery, onion, lemon juice, bay leaf, peppercorns, and salt in a Dutch oven. Stir in water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sweetbreads to broth; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Drain sweetbreads, discarding broth and other ingredients.
- Immediately cover sweetbreads with ice water, and cool completely. Drain off water; remove and discard white membrane and tubes. Cube sweetbreads and set aside.
- Sauté mushrooms in butter in a large skillet; stir in flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add sherry and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat. Add mustard and steak sauce, blending well. Stir in sweetbreads.
- Serve over toast points.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This