Deviled Cucumber Cups
These pretty little bites showcase the bright color of pasture-raised chicken's eggs. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour. Notes: You'll need two round, fluted biscuit cutters, each at least 3/4 in. high: one 1 1/2 in. in diameter (for the narrower parts of the cucumber), the other 2 in. (for the fatter sections). A melon baller is useful too. You can make both the filling and cucumber cups up to 1 day ahead and chill them separately, covered; blot cucumbers dry before filling.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 22
- Calories from fat: 68%
- Protein: 1g
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 0.8g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 54mg
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- 3 large eggs
- 4 medium cucumbers (each at least 7 in. long)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Green Chile Mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced red onion, rinsed (about 1/2 small red onion)
- About 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- About 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 to 2 red or green serrano chiles, seeded and slivered, for garnish
- 1. Put eggs in a medium pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then cover, remove pot from heat, and let sit 14 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a bowl of ice and cold water (reserve hot water in pot). Cool eggs at least 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs back to hot water (to loosen shells) for 10 to 20 seconds. Pat dry and peel.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut cucumbers into 24 rounds (3/4 in. thick each; you may have some cucumber left over). Using the size of biscuit cutter that fits best (see Notes), cut out fluted rounds. With a melon baller or small spoon, scoop seeds from centers of cucumber rounds, leaving at least a 1/4-in layer of seeds and/or flesh. Set on a baking sheet.
- 3. Shred eggs with a razor-sharp grater (such as a Microplane) or against the finest slatted (not punched-out) holes of a box grater and put in a medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, red onion, 1 tsp. lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Mash mixture together with a fork.
- 4. Fill cups with egg mixture, mounding slightly. Sprinkle each with salt and a few drops of lemon juice to taste and garnish with a sliver of serrano.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cucumber cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note