Devil's Food Cake
Recipe from Grandmother's Kitchen
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 - 6 ounce(s) dark rum
- 3 ounce(s) chocolate, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 cup(s) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup(s) vegetable shortening or 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 2 cup(s) sifted flour
- Mix flour, soda, salt and sugar into food processor.
- Pulse with metal blade; set aside.
- Cream shortening in mixer until soft.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and 3/4 cups milk.
- Mix till well blended.
- Add vanilla, eggs, and melted chocolate, and remaining milk.
- Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour into well greased and floured 2 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Set on wire rack for 5 minutes then invert; poke holes with fork all over one side of cake and pour rum on both layers.
- Let rest for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Then frost with Creamy Chocolate Frosting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note