Denver Pasta Supper
Notes: If you have only 1 oven, cook the bacon first, then roast the tomatoes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 586
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 82g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Sodium: 283mg
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- 8 Roma tomatoes (3 to 4 oz. each, about 1 3/4 lb. total)
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound poblano (also called pasilla) chilies
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 3/4 pound dried rigatoni pasta or large elbow macaroni
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper
- Baked bacon (optional)
- 1. Rinse and core tomatoes; cut in half lengthwise, rub lightly all over with olive oil, and lay cut side up in a single layer in a 10- by 15-inch pan.
- 2. Bake tomatoes in a 450° regular or convection oven until edges begin to brown, 25 to 35 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse, stem, and seed poblano chilies; cut lengthwise into 1/16- to 1/8-inch-wide strips. Peel and chop onion. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine chilies, onion, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir often over medium-high heat until chilies are limp and beginning to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4. When tomatoes are done, push to 1 side of the pan. Scrape chili mixture into empty section; keep warm in a 150° oven.
- 5. In the 5- to 6-quart pan, bring 3 quarts water to a boil over high heat; add pasta. When boil resumes, reduce heat and boil gently until pasta is tender to bite, 6 to 10 minutes.
- 6. Drain pasta and return to pan. Set over high heat and immediately add 1 cup broth and the whipping cream; stir until boiling. For moister pasta, add more broth as desired (it soaks in quickly). Remove from heat and stir in chili mixture. Add 1/4 cup cheese, and mix. Pour pasta mixture into a wide serving bowl, sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, and arrange roasted tomatoes on top. Spoon onto plates. Add more cheese, salt, and pepper to taste. Accompany with baked bacon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes