All I can say is... perfect fish fry!
Delta-Style Fried Catfish
More From Southern Living
Other: 8 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 to 3 drops hot sauce
- 6 (4- to 6-ounce) catfish fillets
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Vegetable oil
- Whisk together milk and hot sauce. Place catfish fillets in a single layer in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish; cover with milk mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours, turning once.
- Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients in a shallow dish, and set aside.
- Let catfish fillets stand at room temperature in milk mixture in baking dish 10 minutes. Remove fillets from milk mixture, allowing excess to drip off.
- Dredge catfish fillets in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a large, deep cast-iron or heavy-duty skillet; heat to 360°. Fry fillets, in batches, 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a paper towel-lined jellyroll pan. Keep warm in a 225° oven until ready to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes