Delta Red Beans and Rice
The reader said she grew up on eating this. How nice.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cubed
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- Hot cooked rice
- Place beans in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water 2 inches above beans; soak 8 hours. Drain.
- Bring beans, 6 cups water, sausage, and ham to a boil in a Dutch oven. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours.
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet until tender. Add to bean mixture. Stir in green onions and next 9 ingredients. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bring bean mixture to a simmer; cover and cook, stirring often, 1 hour. Serve over rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note