- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Granny Smith apple
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 (3-ounce) package dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Add milk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times. Pat or roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness, shaping into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle.
Bring 2 cups water and next 3 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan; boil, stirring often, 5 minutes. Remove syrup from heat, and stir in butter.
Combine apple and next 3 ingredients; sprinkle over dough. Roll up dough, jellyroll fashion, starting at a long side; press seam, and pinch ends to seal. Cut into 1-inch slices. Place slices in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan; pour syrup over top.
Bake at 425° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden. Serve warm; top with whipped cream, if desired.