We made a vegan version:spread vegan pizza sauce over crust, mix non dairy mozz., vegan pepperoni, bell pepper, red onion, and sliced banana peppers for filling. Yummy!
Deep-Dish Polenta Pizza
Photo: John Kernick
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Real Simple
Other: 30 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 299
- Calories from fat: 48%
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Sodium: 1,051mg
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugars: 1g
- Protein: 16g
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup polenta or cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 1/2 head radicchio, shredded
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mozzarella, cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- Heat oven to 400° F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan, round cake pan, or pie plate with 1 tablespoon of the oil and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil. Whisking constantly, slowly add the polenta or cornmeal. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until the polenta starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, and the Parmesan. Remove from heat.
Spread the polenta over the bottom of the prepared pan, using a spoon to form a raised edge.
In a bowl, combine the radicchio, tomatoes, mozzarella, and the remaining oil and pepper. Spoon the mixture over the polenta. Bake for 30 minutes. Cut into wedges.
Tip: This crisp polenta crust can accommodate almost any pizza topping. Try arugula and prosciutto, sausage and garlic, or caramelized onions and mushrooms.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note